Tuesday, January 13, 2015

January Story time

January Story time:
For my Hat Storytime tomorrow I am going to have the children do a rubbing with various supplies and then they can glue cotton balls on it.  Last week we did an underwear storytime and used Ms. Sara's idea for the craft and the kids absolutely loved coloring and gluing the cotton balls so I decided to give them another chance to work with those materials.
Sam's Winter Hat by Albert Lamb
Under My Hood I have a Hat  by Karla Kuskin
The Hat by Jan Brett
Extra Hat Books:
Zoe's Hats by Sharon Lane Holm
I want my Hat Back by Jon Klassen
This is not my Hat by Jon Klassen


I have planned a story-time next week about Winter Clothes. How do I come up with a art/craft after doing a hat and a mitten?  I came up with this sweater tissue paper collage and I am happy with the way it turned out.  The one in yellow was the one that I did free hand just to see if it would work and the one on the left is the one that I made a pattern for and cut out carefully.  For the kids I ended up cutting the frame out of black construction paper and for the plastic sleeve I cut up transparencies.

The books I have picked out to read are:
 The Jacket I wear in the Snow by Shirley Neitzel,
Little Bear's Big Sweater by David Bedford 
Winter is the Warmest Season by Lauren Stringer.

For the mittens story time there were a lot of ideas on this website and I choose to do the paint idea. I had planned for the kids to color and glue animals onto a big mitten shape but I failed to communicate to the library with the die cut machine that I wanted the big mitten and not the little mitten and so I had to come up with something to do with them.  
We will read:
The Missing Mitten Mystery by Steven Kellogg
One Mitten by Kristine O'Connell George
Missing Mittens by Stuart Murphy
I don't feel compelled to read Jan Brett's Mitten since we aren't doing the craft and because I read her hat book in a recent story time, but I will have it out on display

No comments:

Post a Comment